I was watching a documentary the other on extreme punishments around the world for crime. And I just remembered one. In India some prisons are open, what does this mean, this means that criminals are free to go about from 7am to 7pm and then are to report back to the prison to stay the night there. You may think this is stupid, but in its long history the open prison has only had one escapee in about 10 years. Why? Well because the village is not really threatened by the open prisoners and if they do another crime they will be sent to closed prisons, also when freed barely any of the open criminals did another crime. This methods saves the government money since they don't spend much on security they have 6 people over viewing 161 and the don't pay much for food because the criminals are free to work during the day. Why doesn't everyone use this method? Well, mainly because the community won't support the criminal, in the village I mentioned neither the villagers nor the prison guards were threatened by the criminals.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, that's pretty interesting.
Although I'd be kinda freaked out if we had open prisons... D;
Yeah open prisons, ummm does not sound like a good idea.
Post a Comment